Sunday 29 December 2013

Day Three: Aachen

I've just been corrected on my pronunciation of Aachen by the trendy hipster bar lady.

The fruit was still covered in flies this morning, so had an apple for my vitamins.  Caught the train out of Düsseldorf at 9am and arrived in Aachen after a very efficient ride through the industrial scenery.   

As soon as you walk out of Aachen station you are reminded of its equestrian heritage.  The first of many statues of horses stand in the square outside the entrance.

I romped into the city centre.  Aachen, unlike much of the region, is quite hilly.  The little streets and modestly impressive buildings make the centre quite attractive.  Being a Sunday in Germany, most shops were shut.  The only significant activity was the taking down of the structures for the Christmas market; vans and 4x4 pulled amazingly long flat bed trailers loaded with huge sheds.

I found the tourist information office - which was open.  An attractive and helpful woman behind the counter took great care and attention in helping me find the route to the football and equestrian stadiums, located to the north of the centre.  I was given a map and about three carefully selected photocopies of bus timetables and told to wait at bus stop 4 for the 11:02 departure of the number 51 bus.

At 11:18 I gave up waiting (I suspect the 51's route had been modified lately) and decided to walk up over the big hill to Soers area (a flat bit).  As I arrived 20 minutes later, and noticed that the number 51 bus service was clearly in service - I'd take the bus back.

The football stadium - home of Alemannia Aachen - was striking in its form and colour.  A modern and well designed football stadium, its yellow cladding was beaming in the winter sunshine. 

A new pedestrian footbridge provided a good view of the stadium and the neighbouring showgrounds - home of the world renowned CHIO-Aachen.  To provide a step free route, the bridge was a S-shaped ramp.  Great design. 

Next door the grounds of the CHIO-Aachen showground could be explored around the perimeter.  Two large stadiums, various open areas and a well equipped stabling area could all be seen at close hand.

Behind the grounds, open countryside and the borders of either Belgium and the Netherlands could be seen on the horizon (probably both - all three countries join at Aachen).  The fields contained obstacles used in the international carriage driving competitions. 

I spent two hours exploring the area.  And another half hour waiting in the cold for the next number 51 bus. 
Once back in Aachen I went inside the very well decorated and quite small cathedral and inside the historic town hall. I saw a cocker spaniel in a bakery.  However, most of the shops were shut but I did have a hot chocolate in a charioteers who sold you a block of chocolate and cup of hot milk.  

The train ride home was equally as uneventful as the ride to Aachen. 

Back in the trendy hipster bar.  Had a chat with the friendly trendy bar lady.  She spent some time in Cambridge as a nanny.  Hamburg is her favourite German city.  She has been to Berlin and enjoyed that. 

Just half a day tomorrow before I fly out. 

I wonder what Düsseldorf is like. 





 



1 comment:

  1. Allamania - isn't that the French name for Germany. And an old tribe.

    ReplyDelete