Monday 14 February 2011

Flights booked: Porto, Braga in four days

The flights have been booked.  Ryan Air, the no frills fascists, are kindly charging me for every possible service they can get away with, but they are cheap and so am I.

I thought seriously about Marrakesh, or possibly other such ancient North African cities.  But I don't have the time and money to do any such adventure justice for the moment.  Belgrade was also under consideration as a city undiscovered by the tourist trail.  It'd be good to see before crass commercial tourism spoils it as it has spoilt cities like Prague.

So anyway, Braga has some amazing architecture.  I've heard it described as the Rome of Iberia, full of baroque churches and the site of one of Portugal's most important universities.  

Braga's football stadium, built for the 2004 European Football Championships, was described in the Financial Times as the most beautiful stadium in the world.  Created on the site of a former quarry, it has two large stands and commanding views of the settlement below.  I'd like to see it and, if I can, possibly visit it for a match (I'll settle for a guided tour).  I am informed that car parking is a issue during match days; the police now turn a blind eye to parking on the adjacent motorway.

No comments:

Post a Comment